Saturday 11 July 2015

REVIEW: L'ou D'or

Someone once said that the best things are discovered when one least expects. When I discovered L'ou D'or restaurant in one of the back streets of Figueres, I had no idea it would become my favourite restaurant.
Figueres is a town in the North of Spain, slightly North of Girona. My Father first drove my Mother and I here so that I could visit the Dalí Museum, as well as practise my Spanish (it was unknown to him that the majority of locals spoke Catalan - which wasn't very helpful for me at all). We, especially my Father, really enjoy going out to eat but as all well travelled people know as gospel, restaurant owners can literally smell tourists from a mile off and practically double their prices. Therefore, we often wonder about on the outskirts of town, or far away from the seafront and other 'touristy' areas. By some miracle, this is how we found L'ou D'or.

We often make special visits to the restaurant and we go there so often that even the owner of the place now recognises us. The prices are very reasonable (13.80€ per person, for a three course meal with VAT included) and despite the small entrance area, the restaurant swings round to the left and opens up into a dazzling white open space - with a glass ceiling and a court yard surrounded by flowers and parasols. The waitresses mostly speak Catalan, Spanish, then followed by French (their website is only written in either Catalan or Spanish) but are very considerate and helpful if you ask them to explain what one of the dishes consist of. 

If you're a Dalí fan, such as I, it is also a really interesting restaurant to visit as both Dalí and his wife, Gala, used to come to the restaurant. That really adds to the feel of the place, don't you think?! If you yourself enjoy his artwork, feel free to tell me your opinion in the comments below! 
Honestly, one wouldn't expect all this from the front of this restaurant. But it is a very pleasant surprise once you're inside! If you're ever in the area, I would strongly recommend you to visit, especially if it a clear summer's evening. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment